Due to the special properties of carbon and a range of variaton possibilities in the production, our innovative carbon fiber textiles are the ideal material for diverse applications:
- Electrochemistry: Electrode material for batteries, fuel cells, electrolysers, microbial technologies
- Separation technology: Filter media for liquids and gases
- Water treatment: Decalcification, desalination
- Insulation: Thermal and acoustic insulation
- Catalysis: Porous catalyst carriers
- Smart textiles: Heating elements, sensor systems
To offer you the optimum solution, we can modify the following parameters of our innovative carbon fiber textiles:
- Porosity and permeability
- Surface structure and chemistry
- Strength, compression behavior and drapability – from stiff to flexible
- Incorporation of functional additives, e.g. metal, ceramic or carbon
The very good temperature and chemical resistance as well as the excellent high-temperature strength of carbon enables the use of carbon fiber textiles in filtration applications where current materials encounter their limits. We offer carbon fiber nonwovens with mechanical reinforcement, which can be adjusted regarding air or media permeability and tensile strength.
Carbon fiber textiles are typically produced as meter goods. However, there is also the possibility to manufacture carbon fiber-based tubes or pipes. We offer needle felt hollow cylinders with customizable diameter and wall thickness. Such seamless tubes can be used for insulation, electrochemistry or filtration.
Carbon fiber fabrics based on thin yarns exhibit a high permeability and a good electrical conductivity. Combined with an excellent drapability as well as high tensile strength, they are a suitable electrode material (e.g. in electrolysis, (microbial) fuel cells, and as electrochemical sensors), or they are used in the field of catalysis.
Carbon fibers are mutable. Thus, we can offer nonwovens with adjusted surface properties and porosity: From pores in the range of micrometers to meso- and micro pores, as closed or open porosity. Many variations are possible, which increase the specific surface area and enable optimization for applications in electrochemistry, catalysis or acoustics.
Carbon fiber textiles are an optimal electrode material for bioelectrochemical technologies. They are biocompatible, offer a high surface area and a good electric conductivity and are highly drapable. Furthermore, their surface morphology and chemistry can be modified depending on the needs.
We are partner of the MIDES project on research and scale up of microbial desalination for low energy drinking water.
SGL Carbon covers the entire value chain of carbon fiber manufacturing. Thus, we can optimize fibers specifically for your needs. Possible parameters are:
- Incorporation of functional additives
- Porous filament structure
- Alteration of the fiber cross section
- Adjustment of the fiber diameter
We offer our special fibers as PAN, PANOX or carbon fiber.