With decades of experience in all markets, we cover a unique portfolio of modeling expertise along the entire value chain. With state-of-the-art software, we deliver individual simulations in various disciplines (finite-element-analysis, computational fluid dynamics) or complete projects from idea through model development to implementation with several coupled Multiphysics disciplines and workflow integration at our client. SGL Carbon as a CAE service provider offers you the following advantages:
- Real industry expertise: We have a track-record of modeling along the entire value chain
- Business focus: We help our customers to turn modeling into a positive business case
- In-house laboratory: We can provide the appropriate confidence level for your applications
- SGL Carbon quality and reliability: We provide globally trusted quality and will be around in the future
- Certification as COMSOL Certified Consultant
Modeling and simulation offers significant advantages for product development, process development and material development:
- In-depth knowledge: Knowledge and insight is paramount in research and development. This applies equally to product development, process development and material development. Not only in R&D but also in operations, in-depth knowledge pays off, for example in the optimization of complex manufacturing processes. Experiments with prototypes or measurement campaigns in manufacturing processes often only provide selective information and do not provide any fundamental connections. A physical explanation of the results is often not possible. By contrast, the various physical modeling approaches in CAE enable a holistic understanding and access to in-depth knowledge. Fully virtualized products, processes, and materials provide physical explanations and understanding that flows directly into the R&D process. For example, a stress analysis using finite elements provides a holistic picture of the load conditions in complex components.
- Cost Savings: The right modeling approach results in a virtual test lab where ideas can be tested and validated without expensive prototyping. The right choice of model depends on the development cycle. A process screening model must have different characteristics than a model for the calculation and validation of a complex component for mass-production. With suitable models, numerous variants can be calculated and optimized without increasing R&D costs. In addition, virtual process optimization does not interrupt ongoing production.
- Time savings: Most R&D projects go through development cycles, which often take a lot of time. CAE helps to minimize trial-and-error cycles, thus making development more targeted. For example, a fluid dynamics simulation can help to evaluate different processes without experimentally realizing all processes.
- Risk minimization: CAE enables a holistic analysis of risks in R&D projects. The appropriate level of security for each application is achieved without expensive prototypes. With state-of-the-art analysis methods in verification, validation, and uncertainty quantification nothing is overlooked. An efficient calculation of many variants enables maximum safety.
We believe that modeling enables radically new ideas. At the same time, it also helps to remain competitive through significantly reducing time to market, R&D costs, and test time on production equipment.
Dr. Denis F. Hinz, Head of Group Modeling, SGL Carbon SE