- SGL Carbon´s brand for the material family of PTFE-based process equipment
- Universal chemical resistance
- Available as paste extruded and isostatic compressed PTFE
- The material with the lowest void content
- Available in white and antistatic (black)
- The first choice for corrosive applications at high temperatures and pressures
- Fit for food-grade applications [FDA certified]
- Nearly universal chemical resistance and insolubility
There are very few substances capable of chemically attacking PTFE, making it ideal for equipment used in the chemical processing industry.
- High service temperature
Under a moderate load the upper temperature limit for a continuous stress is 260°C, but PTFE shows also excellent flexibility and ductility even at low temperatures e.g. for fittings or as flange gaskets for liquid nitrogen at -196°C.
PTFE does not experience aging due to heat or UV radiation.
- High thermostability
The non-aging nature of PTFE contributes to its stability in high-temperature applications without the need for fillers (thereby retaining material purity).
- Long-term pressure performance
Materials such as polyethylene initially show a ductile fracture over the course of the long-term stress, transforming into a brittle-fracture failure mechanism in the further course of the test. PTFE does not exhibit this change in the failure mechanism.
- Low friction
PTFE´s coefficient of friction is the third lowest of any known solid material. This contributes to extremely smooth, low-friction surfaces – which is particularly beneficial in applications where purity and cleanliness are required.
- Superior flexible fatigue resistance
Due to the high weight/length of the PTFE molecular chains, the fatigue resistance under bending loads is extremely high and therefore PTFE is the ideal material for flexible parts like corrugated tubes, hoses, or expansion joints.
- Exceptional electrical insulation properties
PTFE has excellent long-term electrical insulation properties – even in damp environments.
PTFE is essentially non-flammable, with a limiting oxygen index (LOI) >95.
Comparable to other chemically resistant materials – both polymeric and metallic – PTFE is readily and economically available.