We challenge the best available technology
"Innovation" is for us on the one hand the continuous further development and optimization of our current product portfolio and on the other hand the search for trend-setting new products and applications.
Examples of this are the new sealing concept of our SICABON® shell and tube heat exchanger, higher confirmed pressure rates of our FLUROFLEX® expansion joints or the new CARBOPRINT manufacturing technology using the additive manufacturing method.
- New benchmark in leakage protection
- Gasket seats moved to temperature-stable silicon carbide (SiC) intermediate plate
- Reduced thickness of flowable PFA lining at tube plates
- Option to install digital leakage detection device
- Hard-line tight
All available gasket systems of SiC tube heat exchangers are based on O-ring gaskets between tubes and tube plates. Therefore, it is essential to rely only on temperature-stable gasket seats besides fluoroplastic linings of tube plates.
The SGL Carbon system is designed so that all gasket seats for tubes are in a solid SiC intermediate plate, excluding the risk of thermal deformation. The innovative system was tested successfully in cyclic applications (>100 cycles) from -15 up to +150 °C.
- Simple design: No additional leakage chamber or tube plates necessary
- Leakage detection: Before corrosive fluid can exit the unit
- Wireless warning: Connectivity to customer DCS possible
SiC heat exchangers often are operated at harsh conditions regarding fluids and temperatures, thus, the components of the equipment are highly stressed. An exit of fluid to environment has to be avoided.
For the first time, the SGL Carbon concept of a digital leakage detection intends to detect leakages at the tube sheet systems of the heat exchangers without adding additional components increasing the risk of leakages (e.g. tube plates, gaskets). Furthermore, the device is designed to alarm before leakage occurs.
- Design follows function using freedom of design of additive manufacturing
- Resistance in abrasive applications where others fail
- No temperature limitation in combination with corrosion resistance
The quality of pump impellers in corrosive applications often is defined by efficiency and lifetime. State-of-the-art impellers either are designed for efficiency or with focus to resistance against corrosion, abrasion and temperature. A clear combination of both quality attributes in the same component is not available.
Using additive manufacturing in combination with the infiltration of silicon, highly effective designs being absolutely corrosion and abrasion resistant can be realized, without temperature limitation.
This technology opens new possibilities in optimization of existing processes as well as in realization of new applications.
- Easy handling realized by self-supporting lightweight design
- Non-sensitive due to mechanical stability of carbon fiber-reinforced carbon
- Increased flow rates due to wall thickness of only 2 to 5 mm
Feed tubes made of SIGRABOND Chemcial mainly are used as feed pipes, dip pipes and gas inlet tubes for corrosive applications.
The high freedom in design allows customized designs of openings in accordance with the hydraulic requirements. In addition, SIGRABOND Chemical feed tubes are available in all common sizes from DN25 / 1” up to DN250 / 10” in standard. Bigger diameters up to DN1000 / 40” can be designed and produced on request. The final length is defined by the specific customer application and can be up to 5000 mm in one piece.
For installation, SIGRABOND Chemical feed tubes are equipped with DIABON® collars to be placed between the flanges of the reactor and the piping. A PTFE-lined reducing piece is available on request.
- Process optimization in existing applications in focus
- State-of-the-art random packing made of carbon
- Additive manufacturing allows optimum design which cannot be machined
Carbon based random packing already is available as Raschig ring. In respect to form (cylindrical), free flow cross section (~70 %) and wall thickness (~5 mm), Raschig rings made of carbon often are limited in performance.
With the aim of optimizing existing applications, SGL Carbon is developing innovative carbon random packing. Starting from a saddle version made of metal, the prototype in carbon was copied to realize the proof of concept. Future designs clearly will follow function to increase performance using the full freedom of design of additive manufacturing.
- Improved conversion rates of Cl2 and H2
- 100 % graphite construction
- Higher resistance than glass based designs in case of wet feeds
- Homogeneous and stable flame across the full turn-down
Performance level and reliability decide about the profitability of HCl synthesis in operation. Beside the acid concentration or gas quality, the necessary excess in H2 for full Cl2 conversion has to be taken into account.
The new inner burner tube was developed exactly to meet these requirements. Improving the conversion rate of Cl2 and H2 by higher turbulences, the excess of H2 in many cases can be reduced drastically. The 100 % DIABON design in addition reduces the risk of damages by flaking especially if wet feeds cause droplets hitting the burner tube.
Of course, options like the burner flushing device are still available for both feeds.
- No risk of expansion joint failure due to design error
- No overloading due to incorrect extrapolation of pressure rating
- Validated and certified by TÜV
Operational safety is the most important factor in operating processes with critical media. Only proven and certified product skills can fulfill this basic requirement without having doubts.
With FLUROFLEX bellows, SGL Carbon is offering products including the ability to confirm performance parameters at specific design temperatures across the full standard product range.
- No risk of corrosion of vacuum support rings due to diffusion
- Extended range of applications – resists where others fail
- Retrofit and removable
Current solutions of vacuum support rings for expansion joints mostly are based on welded rings made of exotic metals with PTFE-lining. These rings have to be installed by the OEM and cannot be removed non-destructively.
For the first time, FLUROFLEX expansion joints can be offered with segmented vacuum support rings fully made of corrosion resistant carbon fiber-reinforced carbon (CFRC). The vacuum support rings can be installed and removed easily by a snap fit. The risk of corrosion due to diffusion and therefore the risk of failure is minimized.
In addition, SIGRABOND Chemical vacuum support rings extend the range of possible applications based on the superior corrosion resistance of carbon.
With our comprehensive materials portfolio and valuable specialist knowledge, we manufacture tailor-made products - even for the most demanding applications. We can select from a wide range of materials including graphite, silicon carbide, POLYFLURON and special metals.
Find out more about our material families, on the basis of which we further develop and optimize our product portfolio.